Lead Balloon

February 28, 2007, 8:01 am
Filed under: Uncategorized

I flew to North Carolina on Monday (by way of Cincinnati, ridiculous), and got home last night around 10:00 pm. It was a two day trip. And it was a wasted two day trip. A waste of money and a waste of time.

I woke up Monday morning, feeling kind of icky. Stomach icky. But chalked it up to what is pretty much normal for me lately, and got out of bed, got ready and headed to the airport. Given all the traveling I do for my job, I’m a smart traveler. I knew that I’d better grab something to eat before boarding the plane because a) you can never predict whether or not you’ll get a snack on the plane, and b) there’s a good chance you could be sitting on that plane for 3-6 more hours than you intended. With no food. So I grabbed a banana nut muffin and an orange juice and ate it up while I waited to board my first plane.

Obviously, that stomach ickiness wasn’t hunger…still there. Ginger ale on the plane. Next airport, next plane, more ickiness. No relief. By the time I arrived at my destination, I was feeling pretty awful. This is now hours of up and down on the planes, waiting, walking, misery. Met my boss, we rented a car, and as soon as I checked into our hotel I let everyone know I’d not be joining them for dinner, headed straight for my room, slept off and on for a few hours, then proceeded to throw my guts up. Or, rather, my guts along with some banana nut muffin and OJ. Disgusting.

Bottom line, I never made it to my meetings. I flew to North Carolina (beautiful scenery, by the way) and got a hotel room with a nice clean toilet and a comfy bed so that I could barf and sleep for a few hours. Thank God for clean hotel rooms with clean bathrooms. I text messaged my husband at one point to ask him to make sure all the toilets in our house were sparkly clean before I got home. They are, and for that I am very thankful. I am also thankful for having such a sweet boss, who handled all the meetings on his own and in his spare time brought me Gatorade and crackers.

I’m feeling better today. I think it was a 24 hour bug of some sort. Or, something I ate. But what could have been wrong with a muffin or a bottle of Dole OJ? Ughh. Now I’m two days behind on work and a little tired, muddling through.

Sorry if that spoiled your breakfast for you.


Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: